A couple of weeks ago, I made a chocolate Bundt cake for my husband to take to work. He ended up not going to work that next day, so I was able to eat some cake. I usually don’t eat the cakes I make unless I have leftover scraps.
The Bundt cake was delicious. The frosting on top was thick and somewhat chewy. It reminded me of the chocolate frosting on top of a Hostess chocolate cupcake. Yum. The frosting cracked when I moved it to the cake stand.
I followed the recipe for the cake, but I had to make substitutions on the frosting. I ran out of cocoa powder, and had to use chocolate chips. The cake turned out divine.
Perfectly Chocolate Bundt Cake- Adapted from Cookie Madness
- 1 3/4 cups (8 oz) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, natural type
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water (or coffee)**** I used coffee ****
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural or Dutch cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup small or 6 large marshmallows
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of milk
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a Bundt pan with flour-added baking spray.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add oil, milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat two minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed. Stir in water until blended. Batter will be thin.
- Pour batter in the Bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until skewer or pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the pan for about 10 minutes, then carefully turn it from the Bundt.
- To make the frosting, sift the sugar and set it next to the stove.
- Combine the butter, marshmallows and milk in a large (3 quart) saucepan. Heat on medium to medium low, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in cocoa. Add about half the powdered sugar and stir well, then gradually add more until you get just the consistency you want. Add vanilla and stir until smooth. Pour over the cake, letting it fall down the sides and into the center.
Have a great day.