I had some difficulty trying to decide what to make for a Father’s Day dessert. I thought about making cupcakes with fondant toppers, but honestly I wanted something quick. I also wanted to make a dessert that would be fitting for a summer theme.
I finally decided on a cheeseburger cake.
The cake buns are vanilla and the burger is a brownie. The lettuce, tomato and cheese are made from fondant. The sesame seeds are from rice cereal. I covered the buns with leftover buttercream, vanilla and dulce de leche mixed to make the light brown color.
Last week, I talked about sometimes using a doctored cake mix when I’m in a hurry. This is one of those times. At the end of this post, I will share the vanilla cake mix recipe. The brownies are also from a box, but I didn’t add anything extra to the batter. Instead of homemade buttercream, you can always use canned vanilla frosting with a small amount of chocolate frosting and add red and yellow food color to get the brown color. The fondant can be bought premade at craft stores or even Wal-mart.
I divided batter between a 8 inch cake pan and ~2 qt oven proof glass bowl. You want to make sure the bowl is similar in diameter as the cake pan.
I trimmed and leveled the cakes.
I colored a small amount of fondant orange and rolled it out to about 1/8” thickness. I cut the fondant into triangles to represent the cheese.
I colored a small amount of fondant red and rolled it out to about 1/8” thick. I used a cup, didn’t feel like digging out my round cutters, to cut the fondant into two circles. I then cut the circles into a slice tomato shape.
I colored a small amount of fondant green and again rolled it out to 1/8” in thickness. I cut the fondant into the above shape.
I then folded the fondant similar to an accordion to make the ruffle.
I forgot to show you earlier, but I frosted my buns with a mixture of vanilla and dulce de leche buttercream. You can easily use canned vanilla and chocolate frosting with red and yellow food coloring to get light brown. Once the buttercream crusted some, I smoothed it out with Viva paper towel.
I placed the lettuce fondant on the edge of the bottom cake layer then placed the brownie “burger” on top.
I frosted the inner circle of the brownie to give the fondant pieces something to stick to. I also used a toothpick to draw on the tomato slices. I thought this helped them look somewhat real.
I placed a few rice cereal pieces on top of the cake to represent sesame seeds.
Tips (things I didn’t do, but wish I did):
- I would place 4 bubble tea straws in the bottom layer to give the cake some support.
- I would place the top cake layer on a cake board, this will aid in moving the cake and give it a cleaner look.
Vanilla Cake Recipe:
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/3 c oil
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 3/4 c sour cream
- 1 T vanilla
- Mix ingredients with a handheld mixer until ingredients are blended. Bake the cake in a greased prepared pan at 350 degrees. This cake took approximately 35 minutes to bake. Keep in mind, all ovens are different so watch your cake for doneness.
I didn’t have buttermilk on hand, so I made homemade buttermilk. I used 1 cup whole milk and 1 T vinegar. I let the buttermilk sit in the fridge for about an hour before I used it. Here is a picture of the homemade buttermilk.
I didn’t make french fries to go along with this cake, but if you wanted to it is really easy. Here are two ways you can make french fries.
- Use the leftover cake scraps to cut french fries (small rectangles shapes) and place on a cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the oven preheated on broil and toast for about a minute. After a minute check the cake and flip if you want them toasted on the other side. Serve the fries on the side of the cheeseburger cake with a small cupcake liner filled with red buttercream (ketchup).
- Another way to make french fries is by using sugar cookies. You can use a scratch recipe or a premade mix. Roll out the dough and cut thin strips the shape of french fries. Remove every other strip so the cookies don’t turn into one huge blob. Sprinkle some sugar on the cookies and bake. The cookies will probably spread some. If they do, just cut each cookie in half lengthwise. Sprinkle some sugar on the cookies while they are still warm. Serve the french fries next to the cake with a cupcake liner of red buttercream.
Let me know if you make a cheeseburger cake. I would love to see pictures.
Have you ever made homemade buttermilk?
-This was my first time.
What do you think would be a great summer themed cake?
Any baking plans for Father’s Day?